Student Visa procedure for Australia

Australian Student visa Requirement under SSVF

In this Section you will get Guidance about Student visa Requirements in Australia for majority of Indian students. Following are the Student visa Requirements for Australia under Simplified student visa framework (SSVF)

  • Genuine temporary entrant Requirements
  • English language requirements
  • Financial capacity requirements
  • Genuine access to funds
  • Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE)
  • Health insurance
  • Health and Character requirements
  • Additional Information, you should aware of
  • Student Visa Fees

Genuine temporary entrant (GTE) Requirements

You must satisfy the condition that you have a genuine intention to stay in Australia temporarily. The GTE requirement applies to all student visa applicants. Your Actual profile and Statement of Purpose / GTE Statement is a key to fulfill the GTE Criteria.

When assessing the GTE requirement, DIBP (Department of Immigration and Border Protection, Australia) will consider the requirements set out in direction number 69. To assess this, they will consider:

  • Your circumstances (Education, Family Income, Employment etc…)
  • Your immigration history
  • If you are under 18 years old, the intention of your parent, legal guardian or partner
  • any other relevant matter.

The GTE requirement provides a useful way to help identify those applicants who are using the student visa programme for motives other than gaining a quality education. The requirement is not designed to exclude students who, after studying in Australia, go on to develop the skills required by the Australian labour market and apply to become permanent residents.

The officer assessing the visa will consider whether the individual circumstances of the student indicates that their intention is for a temporary stay in Australia. The genuine temporary entrant (GTE) requirement is an integrity measure to ensure that the student visa programme is used as intended and not as a way for international students to maintain ongoing residency in Australia.

For Example: If you have previous Australian Student visa refusal, Majority of Education agents and Institutes will refuse to process your application. Similarly in your graduation, if you had too many Backlogs, Majority of Education agents and Institutes will refuse to process your application.

English language requirements

IELTS, TOEFL, PTE and Cambridge English: Advanced (Certificate in Advanced English) are Acceptable evidence of English language skills. The test must have been taken no more than two years before you apply for your student visa.

For Indian Student applicants, we suggest Minimum 5.5 Band in IELTS OR Equivalent score in PTE/TOEFL. However IELTS 6.0 Band is recommended for better learning outcome at University studies.

Majority of Indian students need to provide evidence of English language skills with Student visa application. If you do not provide evidence of your English language skills with your application or when asked by an officer, your student visa application could be refused.

Financial capacity requirements

You need to have enough money that is genuinely available to you, to pay for your course fees, and travel and living costs for you and your accompanying family members while you are in Australia. If you do not provide this evidence of financial capacity with your application or when asked by an officer, your student visa application could be refused.

You will be able to demonstrate this by providing one of the following:

  • Option 1: Evidence of funds to cover travel to Australia and 12 months’ living, course and (for school aged dependants) schooling costs for the student and accompanying family members
  • Option 2: evidence that you meet the annual income requirement


Option 1: Twelve months’ funds option

Majority of indian student demonstrate their Financial capacity by providing Evidence of funds for first 12 months of study. You need to have evidence of funds to cover travel to Australia and 12 months’ living, course and (for school aged dependants) schooling costs for the student and accompanying family members.

The 12 month living cost is:

  • student or guardian – AUD 19,830
  • partner or spouse – AUD 6,940
  • Child – AUD 2,970.

Travel Cost: About 2,000 A$

Schooling costs for your children:

Where school aged children are included in your student visa application, schooling costs of at least AUD 8,000 per year for each child will need to be added to the amount of funds required. You are responsible for researching schooling costs, which vary between states, territories and schools in Australia.

For Example:

Mr. Ruchit is a single student going for Master of IT having fees of 28,000 A$. He needs to show fund: 28,000 A$ + 19,830 A$ + 2000 A$

Mr. Rakesh shah is Married student going for Master of Professional accounting having fees of 26,000 A$. He needs to show fund: 26,000 A$. + 19,830 A$ + 6,940 A$ + 2000 A$

Mr. Vijay Panchal is Married student with one children of 1.5 years going for Master of Business having fees of 27,000 A$. He needs to show fund: 27,000 A$. + 19,830 A$ + 6,940 A$ + 2,970 A$ + 2000 A$

Mrs. Pooja shah is Married student going for Master of Professional accounting having fees of 25,000 A$. But she is applying for visa for herself only. Her Husband is not accompanying her. She needs to show fund: 25,000 A$. + 19,830 A$ + 2000 A$

Evidence of financial capacity includes:

  • Money deposit with a financial institution (Bank Balance, FD etc…)
  • Loan with a financial institution
  • Government loans; and
  • Scholarship or financial support

Genuine access to funds

You and your accompanying family members must be able to access the funds shown while you are in Australia. When considering whether the funds will be genuinely available, DIBP will take into account:

  • the nature of the relationship between you and the person who is providing the funds, where applicable
  • your income, assets and employment or those of the person providing the funds
  • Your previous visa history and that of the person providing the funds.

Note: Relationship of student with Person having a fund and source of Fund is most important


Option 2: Annual income option

The annual income option requires a student to provide evidence of personal annual income of at least AUD 60,000. For students accompanied by family members, the requirement is at least AUD 70,000. The income demonstrated must be the personal income of your spouse (who is not coming with you) or parents. Where both of your parents are working, their combined income can be considered for this requirement. Evidence must be in the form of official government documents such as tax assessments. Evidence in the form of bank statements or information directly from an employer is not acceptable.

Other Options

As per our experience, only few Indian students are demonstrating their financial capacity by following way. So we are not discussing it here and you can find more information on DIBP website for the same:

  • an Acceptance Advice of Secondary Exchange Students (AASES) form (secondary exchange students only)
  • A letter of support from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade or Department of Defence.

Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE)

You must be enrolled in a course of study that is registered on the CRICOS (Commonwealth Register of Institutions and courses for Overseas for Overseas Students). If you are applying from outside Australia, you must include a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) for each intended course of study with your Student visa application. A letter of offer from your education provider will not be accepted.

Health insurance

You must have adequate health insurance while in Australia. Students can show this by obtaining Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) which provides medical and hospital insurance. You can select an approved OSHC provider and pay for the policy yourself. Some education providers and Education agents might offer to arrange OSHC for you.

If your education provider OR Education agent arranges your OSHC coverage, you will need to know the name of your health insurance provider, the date that your policy starts and finishes and should be aware of the terms and conditions of your policy. If you arrange OSHC coverage yourself you will also need to know the policy number to include in the Student Visa application.

Health and Character requirements

You must meet the health requirements. All Indian students need to undergo health examinations as part of the Student Visa application process. The health assessment process can take several weeks to complete. To help avoid delays, you can choose to undertake your health examination prior to lodging your Student Visa application. More information is available on my health declarations section on DIBP website.

Everyone who wants to enter Australia must be of good character and will be assessed against the character requirements. You must answer a number of character related questions on your Student Visa application form and the information you provide will be used to assess your character. You might be asked for more information. More information is available about Character requirements on DIBP website.

Additional Information, you should aware of :

  • If you want to change to a new course at the same institution you are currently studying and at the same level of qualification, you do not need to apply for a new student visa unless your current visa is about to expire.
  • On 1 July 2016, a new condition was introduced requiring all Student visa (subclass 500) holders to maintain enrolment at the same level or a higher Australian Qualification Framework (AQF) level for which they were granted a visa, unless they are undertaking a doctoral degree (AQF10) and transfer to a master’s degree (AQF9). Transferring to a lower AQF level course or transferring from an AQF level course to a non-AQF Award course is a breach of the student visa condition and might result in the visa being cancelled. Students who want to change to a lower level course or non-award course must apply for, and be granted, a new student visa before they change their course. More information is available about changing courses on DIBP website
  • Moreover Standard 7 of the National Code of Practice for Providers of Education and Training to Overseas Students 2007 also applies to transfers between CRICOS registered providers. This standard restricts providers from enrolling transferring students prior to the student completing six months of his or her principal course of study, except for the circumstances outlined in the standard. So Student can’t change education provider prior to completing six months of his or her principal course of study. More information is available at the Department of Education and Training’s website.
  • You and your family members can make a combined application or they can apply to join you later provided you declared them in your student visa application or they became a family member after the grant of your student visa (such as a newborn baby). You must have funds to support yourself and all accompanying family members already in Australia as well as those included in the current application.
  • You need to organized appropriate welfare arrangements for the duration of your intended stay in Australia if you are under 18 years of age.
  • Non-English documents must be translated into English.
  • Provide certified copies of your documents.
    Submit all documents with your application or your application could be refused or a decision on your visa could be delayed

Student Visa Fees

All charges shown below are in Australian Dollars (AUD).


Visa subclass Note Base application charge Additional applicant charge

18 and over

Additional applicant charge under 18 Subsequent temporary application charge
Student visa (Subclass 500) 6a



$550 $410 $135 $700
Student visa (subsequent entrant) 6e $550 $410 $135 $700

Visit for more detail on Student visas

Should you require to discuss more about student visa for Australia, please do not hesitate to book a consultation with us or give us a call on 07927582567, 07927582566.




Documents Required for Availability of Fund

  • Bank Balance
  • Bank Fixed Deposits
  • Education Loan

Following is not acceptable assets but used against loan

  • Funds in  co-operative and other banks (Not approved by Australian High Commission)
  • NSC/ KVP / IVP , LIC, Shares / Bonds / Debentures, Deposits with companies
  • House, Land, Factory, Gold, Shop, Office.
  • Money in Post Office Accounts
  • Public Provident Funds (ONLY Withdrawable Amounts)
  • Group Provident Funds (GPF) (Only Applicant’s Parents)
  • PF/Employee Provident Fund – Only Withdrawable amount

Income Documents of person having a Fund

Relationship proof and Identity proof of Sponsors.

For the applicant:

  • Passport, Recent Color Photos (45×35) against a white Background, Visa Fees A$ 550
  • Score card of IELTS
  • All Mark sheets & Certificates (10th, 12th, L.C., Diploma, Graduation, Masters, PhD.)
  • Certificate for Outstanding performance in study, sports, arts, research, science etc.
  • Work-experience Documents (if applicable)
  • Statement of Purpose
  • Student Affidavit, Sponsor Affidavit, Relationship Proof

For dependants:

  • Passport (The Name of Spouse should be there) , Photos (45×35)
  • Marriage certificate, Marriage Photos
  • Mark sheets & Certificates (Graduation, Masters, PhD.)
  • Spouse Visa Fees A$ 410
  • Birth Certificate and Passport of Children. Photos (45×35)
  • Additional applicant charge under 18: A$135

Read Students Review On Google And Facebook

5 stars
4 stars
3 stars
2 stars
1 stars